Update Notifications

hernlem

22 Beiträge

Michael,

Thanks for your response to my questions. Hopefully Archion can eventually work with the archives to free up the portions of those recent 'white' documents which are not sensitive or privacy restricted. If it is simply a matter of a certain date it should be relatively easy to block or remove images after that point in time.

So far, Archion has been very useful to me in researching my Hessian ancestors but I wait in anticipation for the churchbooks from the Forchheim district in Bavaria. During the beta phase, Forchheim was not even listed. Now it is in white with two churches of interest.

vnagel2004

2166 Beiträge

Zitiert von: hernlem
Continuing on this subject .....

.... If there are personal privacy or other restrictions on recent records, ....

Bradley,

as a general rule -although exceptions apply and as Mr. Metz-Martini already outlined, each archive handles this a bit differently- according to German Privacy Law church books / content of church books [as well as civil registration records]is only publicly available if:

-a birth/baptism occurred more than 110 years ago
-a marriage occurred more than 70 years ago
-a death/burial occurred more than 30 years ago

However, to be publicly available does not generally mean that such records are available online as well.

More recent records are only available to direct next of kin. (Relationship needs to be proven.)

Hope that helps as well.

Best, Vera

hernlem

22 Beiträge

Vera,

Thanks for the additional details. I was generally aware of those restrictions but not the specifics. Because all my ancestors that came from places now within Germany (I had also East Prussian ancestors) arrived in the U.S. by the 1870s, these privacy restrictions have not been relevant. However, as I pointed out in the Niederasphe example, the KB1830-1900, which is viewable on Archion, contains only the marriage and death records. I suspect that the birth records from that period are in the KB1830-1929, which is not viewable. If that is indeed the case, it would be desirable to have those early records released by the archive, if an arrangement could be made between the parties in such cases. I submit that as an item for the 'wish list'.

obw22

41 Beiträge

Wow, lot's of great replies to my question when I came home tonight!

Michael, thank you for making note of such a feature (perhaps RSS?). Although I am currently most interested in the Osnabrück area, this feature would apply elsewhere. I would not want to burden staff or anyone with question after question about each parish. My mother and father's ancestors were mostly German, let's round it off to about 90%, and they came from all over. Lübeck in the north to Baden, Württemberg and Mittelfranken in the south. Osnabrück in the west to Finkenthal (Alt Kalen) in the east. And lots in between.

Vera and Manfred, thank you for the details about the Osnabrück parishes and Archion'd tentative schedule. No, I did not know these parishes have been digitized.

Examples from this area would be Belm, Buer, possibly Dissen, Engter, Melle, Oldendorf, and Venne.

Best regards,

Dave

obw22

41 Beiträge

Zitiert von: vnagel2004
As you certainly know digitized church records for the church districts of Osnabrück, Georgsmarienhütte and Melle are available at the Kirchenbuchamt Hannover. Did you already check their holdings following the links from this website?

Vera,

Perhaps I am missing something on their web site. I do not see anything about what records have been digitized. I'm not sure that it is applicable to me anyway, though, because if the records can only be viewed at the archive, I am in America with no plans to travel soon.

I am familiar with that archive. I went there two days in 2010 to look at church books on microfiche. No mention was made then about digitization. Is this recent?

If/when Archion adds the parishes I mentioned before I will be very pleased.

Regards,

Dave

vnagel2004

2166 Beiträge

Zitiert von: obw22

Vera,

Perhaps I am missing something on their web site. I do not see anything about what records have been digitized.

Dave,

you're most welcome.

When you are on this website:

http://www.kirche-hannover.de/kirchenbuchamt/archivbestand.html

immediately above the photo (showing part of a book-shelf) there's a link labeled:

"Verfilmte Kirchenbücher-detaillierte Auflistung" (568,36 KB)
[microfilmed church books - detailled list]

follow that link in order to download the pdf-file and save it on your computer.

Then search that pdf-file, i.e. for your places of interest Belm, Buer, Dissen, Engter, Melle, Oldendorf, and Venne, and you will find all of these parishes (either being part of the church district Bramsche or Melle-Georgsmarienhütte) as being listed.

That list will also tell you in its different columns for which time frame
Taufen = Baptisms,
Trauungen = marriages,
Begräbnisse = burials
etc. are available, resp. when these church books start for the various events.

Sometimes you'll also find abbreviations, like

L = Lücke = gap - indicating a gap in a church book, say a year/time frame for which no church book records survived/are still available

or

Uv = unvollständig = incomplete etc.

The only thing you'll need to do now, is to convince the officials at the church archive of Hannover to also work on records from the church districts of Bramsche and Melle-Georgsmarienhütte as they apparently already do for the church district of Osnabrück.

Best,
Vera

Bernd

253 Beiträge

David,

some of the church books you look for have been already transfered on Excel.

Please have a look here:

http://www.osfa.de/datenbanken/db_kirchbuecher.php

A mail to the osfa is a shorter way then to wait at archion for years.

Bernd

obw22

41 Beiträge

Vera and Bernd,

Thank you for the comments. I still do not understand what that PDF, or OFSA's spreadsheet, have to do with the church books being digitized. I am in semi-regular contact with one person from that area and get updates monthly secondhand from another source. No one has mentioned anything about digitizing those church books, until news of KBP (Archion) last spring.

Regards,

Dave

archion-358984@tobias-bauer.de

6 Beiträge

Ich würde mir auch diese Funktion wünschen. Zumindest eine einfache Seite wo ich nach Datum sortiert sehen kann, welche Bücher hinzugefügt wurden. Das würde mir ersparen, ständig alle entsprechenden Bereiche durcklicken zu müssen nur um dann zu sehen, dass doch kein neues Buch eingelesen wurde...

michael.metz-martini
Technischer Support

530 Beiträge

Guten Morgen

Ich würde mir auch diese Funktion wünschen. Zumindest eine einfache Seite wo ich nach Datum sortiert sehen kann, welche Bücher hinzugefügt wurden. Das würde mir ersparen, ständig alle entsprechenden Bereiche durcklicken zu müssen nur um dann zu sehen, dass doch kein neues Buch eingelesen wurde...

Mit Beginn der Livephase werden wir regelmäßig über neue Kirchenbücher informieren.