Who are the godparents?

Hello - please forgive me for not asking in German, but you all have been so helpful in the past.

Can someone help me read the names of the godparents for the children of Hans Georg & Ursula?

I can understand some, but not all, of the old handwriting
Johannes Ott ?????????
?????? Charlotta Christina ????????????

I believe Charlotta Christina a the daughter of the Degenfeld noble family. She is the godmother of all of Hans Georg & Ursula's children. I'd like to find more info about Johanness Ott. He is the godfather of a few other children in the records, and it appears there are other Ott family members in the records.

Gevattern {godparents) for both children:
Johannes Ott, Schultheiß
Fräul[ein] Charlotta Christina von Degenf[eld]

Johannes Ott was head of the municipality (Dürnau village)

The village Dürnau belonged at that time to the noble family von Degenfeld.
Charlotta Christina was the daughter of Christoph Martin von Degenfekd.

Thank you so much!

I believe either Hans Georg, or his father Jacob were Danish mercenaries that came to Durnau after the 30 years war. That is the family legend, and it could fit for either of them. I would love to find a connection between the Degenfeld family and Denmark at that time. Or between anyone mentioned in Hans & Ursula's marriage record, and Denmark. It seems that both Hans and Ursula had connections to important families in the area. Part of this is based on records you helped me read last year.

Thank you so much!

I believe either Hans Georg, or his father Jacob were Danish mercenaries that came to Durnau after the 30 years war. That is the family legend, and it could fit for either of them. I would love to find a connection between the Degenfeld family and Denmark at that time. Or between anyone mentioned in Hans & Ursula's marriage record, and Denmark. It seems that both Hans and Ursula had connections to important families in the area. Part of this is based on records you helped me read last year.

According to this...:
... Christoph Martin von Degenfeld fought in the campaign against King Christian IV of Denmark in August 1626 at the Battle of Lutter:
"According to contemporary accounts, the Danes suffered around 4,000 casualties, mainly infantrymen, and 2,500 of them were taken prisoner."
Perhaps Christoph Martin von Degenfeld brought Jacob Nielschen home with him to Dürnau when he returned from the battle.

That’s one of my theories right now. Apparently Degenfeld converted to Lutheranism after that batrle, and then fought for Sweden. So I wonder if Jacob actually fought alongside Degenfeld after fighting against him.

Otherwise, it would be odd for Degenfeld’s daughter to be the godmother. Although, I understand it was common for mercenaries, and even for armies to switch allegiances.

Also interesting. Hans and Ursula married when she was 8 months pregnant. They had their first daughter 1 month after they were married. I assumed that would be taboo in those times. In the US we call that a “shotgun wedding”…

Zurück
Oben