I am researching German immigrant families who settled in Ohio and Kentucky, USA around 1840–1870, and am seeking the German origins of two Lower Saxon families.
Family 1 — BRUNS:
Johann Hermann Bruns, born approximately 1797 in Lower Saxony, died 1875. His father was Gerhard Bruns; his mother's name appears as "Thecla Sch..." (surname unclear). Johann Hermann's daughter Helena Bruns (1841–1917) emigrated to the USA. I am seeking the birthplace and parentage of Johann Hermann Bruns and any records for Gerhard Bruns in Lower Saxon church records.
Family 2 — HANNEKEN:
Wilhelm Hanneken (no dates known) married Anna Maria Brake. Their daughter Elisabeth (born approximately 1802) is connected to the same emigrant circle. The Hanneken surname is recorded as highly concentrated in Lower Saxony (88% of German occurrences in Niedersachsen). I am seeking any records for Wilhelm Hanneken and Anna Maria Brake in Lower Saxon parishes.
Both families appear to have emigrated through the Hamburg–America line to Ohio in the mid-19th century. Any help finding the home parish or village would be greatly appreciated.
Joe Daugherty
Family 1 — BRUNS:
Johann Hermann Bruns, born approximately 1797 in Lower Saxony, died 1875. His father was Gerhard Bruns; his mother's name appears as "Thecla Sch..." (surname unclear). Johann Hermann's daughter Helena Bruns (1841–1917) emigrated to the USA. I am seeking the birthplace and parentage of Johann Hermann Bruns and any records for Gerhard Bruns in Lower Saxon church records.
Family 2 — HANNEKEN:
Wilhelm Hanneken (no dates known) married Anna Maria Brake. Their daughter Elisabeth (born approximately 1802) is connected to the same emigrant circle. The Hanneken surname is recorded as highly concentrated in Lower Saxony (88% of German occurrences in Niedersachsen). I am seeking any records for Wilhelm Hanneken and Anna Maria Brake in Lower Saxon parishes.
Both families appear to have emigrated through the Hamburg–America line to Ohio in the mid-19th century. Any help finding the home parish or village would be greatly appreciated.
Joe Daugherty