Weber family/Burkersdorf directory

I apologize if this question isn't the correct use of this forum, and I apologize that I'm writing this in English. I am an American trying to research my German ancestors and this is my first time using Archion, and I'm struggling a little bit in getting started.

I have a few ancestors I'm trying to research, but I'm starting off with my 2nd great-grandfather, George Arthur Weber (his birthname may have been Arthur Georg Weber). He was born in 1867 (I believe April 23, but I've also seen February 23), and immigrated to the United States in 1892 (settling in New Jersey). I had always thought he was born in Chemnitz, Saxony, but I've recently found information that leads me to believe his actual hometown was Burkersdorf (currently part of Burgstädt), and that he may have married his wife Emma Kraban in Auerswalde in 1889. I'm trying to find anything I can about him, his parents, and any siblings or other relatives. (I'm also searching for information about Emma and the Kraban family, but I'll limit this question to the Webers for now.)

If I'm understanding this website correctly, I can't just search for his name, but rather I have to search for places. So I searched for Burkersdorf and found what appears to be an alphabetical register for Burkersdorf (Alphabetisches Register zu Taufen; Trauungen; Bestattungen) from 1831-1923. That seemed like a good place to start so I was looking through it.

Am I correct that there is no function to search for individuals on these sources, nor is there a digital transcription of what's on the pages? It seems like all I can do is look through the screenshots of the pages manually, which is fine, but it creates some challenges for me because I don't understand German, and also struggle with the handwriting. I've combed through the pages and found several Webers, but in almost all cases I can't make out the first names...

Also, because of the language barrier, it's a little unclear to me what information is even being presented here? It looks this registry may be listing baptisms, weddings, and burials, but I'm not sure which pages are which?

Any assistance anyone can provide to ensure that I am understanding how to read these sources and use this site correctly would be appreciated. In case it's helpful, below are a few instances of Webers that I think I found on this Burkersdorft registry. But again, I can't make out the first names, and am not even sure what information is being provided on these pages yet...

Image 60: #57, #78, #89
Image 61: #146-#148, #152, #162
Image 62: #170, #191, #198, #203, #205
Image 95: #13a (on left page), #6 & #7 (on right page), #24 (this one might reference a Georg?), #25, #29 (maybe)
Image 96: #42, #97
Image 147: #9, #10
Image 148: #35, #36
Image 149: #87, #100 (maybe?), #110 (definitely)
Image 150: #121, #128

Welcome to Archion‘s forum website.

Congrats for all understanding and analysis about the website and it‘s structure - everything totally correct.

Now, however, the downside…

Burkersdorf

is the name of quite a number of places - see here:

The church registers you found at Archion is

Burkersdorf > Kronach > Bavaria

and not your desired place

Burkersdorf > Burgstädt > Saxony.

In other words, the church registers you need for your research are not yet online at Archion.
Sorry.

Regards, Vera

As an aside, although this does not pertain to your family research:

the easiest way to reference an entry or a page with an entry in a specific church register, is to create and provide a Permalink, like this one

it points to the first page you quoted in your initial message above.

Weber, Elisabetha
Weber, Christianna

How to create a Permalink is described here:

Vera

Ahhh, rookie mistake on my part! LOL Thank you very much for pointing that out, and also for the tip about the permalink.

If anyone happens to have any thoughts on how I can research Webers in the CORRECT Burkersdorf, whether that's here on Archion or anywhere else, I'd happily take your advice. :)

Thanks again!

If you haven’t tried yet:
Here you can ask your questions or find hints:

BR

Zurück
Oben