Lobeck

Hi everyone, I am trying to find relatives of my great great grandfather.
His name was Karl Ernst August Lobeck, date of birth circa 1837 in Memel. I have not been able to find any information of any relatives.
If anyone can help me, I would be eternally grateful.
warm regards,
Mark Falzon.

Hello.

As you certainly know Lutheran church registers for Memel are online available here at Archion.

That said and if your ancestor was of Evangelical / Lutheran religious belief: have you already browsed the images of these church books for the birth / baptism of your ancestor, his parents, any siblings and the like??

please also refer to: Help? or First Steps for further advice

Kind regards, Vera

Hi Vera, so I need to buy access to the records without knowing if my relatives details are stored or not?
Warm regards,
Mark

Ja, wenn die für sie passenden Kirchenbücher vorhanden sind müssen sie einen Pass kaufen und die Bücher von Hand durchsuchen. Es gibt keine Möglichkeit in einer Datenbank nach den Namen zu suchen.

Viele Grüße
Martina

Hi Mark,

a really essential question is: can it definitely be taken for granted that your gg-grandfather was born in the city of Memel?

If so, what is the source for this information?

Meantime I had a very, very short look at the hand-written name index for baptisms at the Saint Johannes church of Memel and basically noticed 2 baptisms (without looking at any further details!!!!) for a Lobeck couple within the relevant time frame. (Father of these: Carl Wilhelm Lobeck; profession: sailor / seaman)
Nothing to be taken for granted regarding relevance for your ancestor, other than a really basic indication that the family name is present in general.

Kind regards, Vera

There is a "Ortsfamilienbuch Memelland" that shows that the name Lobeck existed in the area at that time:

I had a look into the name indexes and parish registers here at Archion and found a couple of shipbuilders and ship carpenters with the name Lobeck. Some of them have apparently English given names (and their children as well). So they could have been born in England and worked in Memel at the shipyards.

However, I didn't find a Carl Ernst August at first sight. Maybe his family didn't live directly in Memel but in the region.

Thank you Vera, you're so kind to do this. I'm based in the UK, and I've found the Archion website a bit tricky to negotiate

Hello Vera,

My g g grandfather wasn't born in the UK as I have copies of his naturalisation to become a UK citizen in 1872.
Regarding his birth town,information I have just says Memel, but as you suggest, he may have been born in the region . Many thanks, Mark

Hi Mark,

my idea was that Carl Ernst's father might have been a British citizen, who came to Memel for work and returned years later to the UK with his children born there. However, this is just an unproved assumption. Not sure if this would require a naturalisation of the childs born in Memel.

The James Charles mentioned earlier could be identical with the Carl James who married Amalie Richter and had some children in Memel during the 1850s.

kind regards
Bernd

Hello Bernd.

Well worth to think about.

However, that theory requires -as you already point out- Karl Ernst August Lobeck‘s father to be a British citizen, and if so, why shouldn‘t it be possible to find relatives of KEA Lobeck in the UK?

Plus KEA Lobeck has German given names, opposed to the children of the Lobecks you already found whose children received English given names.

KR, Vera

Not sure this is relevant. A short research in Ancestry shows that on 5 March 1816 a Henry Lobeck married an Ann Bachop in Saint Dunstan, Stepney, London. There is also a passenger list record of the London port from October 1851, stating that a Heinrich Lobeck, together with his daughter Maria, resident of Prussia, came back after having left 32 years ago.

Still just a theory, but maybe Carl Ernst was another son of Henry. I just found James Charles in the Memel parish registers but not Maria. So other childs might be missing as well.

When Karl Ernst August Lobeck married in the UK on 8 Apr 1866 at St. Clement's Church Bristol, he provided the following information:

father's name: Charles / Karl Lobeck
father's profession: farmer / Landwirt, Bauer

Hi, yes I have that information. It's finding the link to Memel which I have worked on for 10 years or so, thank you mark

Hello Mark, as an aside....

you linked an England, Alien Arrivals, list of 1846 to your Carl E. Lobeck, which I would really doubt can be correct.

That list however provides the information that this gentleman Carl Lobeck was a merchant and native of Prussia.

Your Carl E. Lobeck was about 9(!) years old in 1846, so he would have been hardly identical with this merchant.

-----------------------------

Other than that, it's unfortunately still not clear to me where the information of Karl August Ernst Lobeck's native place MEMEL comes from?!? :unsure:

Vera

Does MEMEL eventually come from this 1861 England Census regarding Royal Navy Vessels?

If so, that's a record for GUSTAV (Gustave / Gus) Lobeck, 22 years old, where from: Memel, Prussia

Hi Vera, I'm scratching my head wondering whete my g g grandfather came from. The older family always said Memel. Now I'm doubting it. Thanks for yourhelp.
Mark

Zurück
Oben