Herr Buttner

Hello
This is not a request related to my ancestors - it is about a resident of Brunswick in the 1780's, Herr J G Buttner who was the elementary school teacher of Karl Freidrich Gauss - one of the greatest figures in mathematics. Herr Buttner's name is still widely used by mathematics teachers in a story about Gauss's early education - however we know little of the man himself. In 1787, the date of the story, what age was Buttner? did he have children? did he remain in Brunswick after Gauss left for Gottingen and glory? I would be very thankful if a Forum members could help me with any information.
With apologies for my lack of German, danke schoen.

Good evening.

The name of this teacher at the "Katharinen - Volksschule" in Braunschweig (Brunswick) is: Johann Georg Büttner (Buettner).

Please explicitly note the different spelling which is of essence. >> not: Buttner --- Thank you.
(The German umlauted character ü is only correctly substituted by ue - but not by a simple u.)

Did you already contact the Gauss Gesellschaft Goettingen in order to learn more details?

At the very bottom of this part of their website there's an email address / link of a lady who may be contacted

Kind regards. Vera

In addition:
Do you already know this paper which is about Martin Bartels, the assistent of Buettner at the Katharinen Schule?

https://www.researchgate.net/public..._as_teacher_of_Carl_Friedrich_Gauss_in_German

Short description:
>>The role of the young Martin Bartels (1769 - 1836), later professor of mathematics at Kazan and Dorpat, as a teacher of C. F. Gauß is discussed on the basis of his autobiographic notes and of reminiscences by the astronomer Otto Struve, the son of Bartel's son-in-law Wilhelm Struve. - Published in: Gauß-Gesellschaft Göttingen e.V., Mitteilungen 30 (1993), pp. 59-62<<

„Bartels tells that when he began his assistant work at the school, the teacher (Buettner) was about 30 years old.“

At the very end of the paper there are various sources provided.

Good evening.

The name of this teacher at the "Katharinen - Volksschule" in Braunschweig (Brunswick) is: Johann Georg Büttner (Buettner).

Please explicitly note the different spelling which is of essence. >> not: Buttner --- Thank you.
(The German umlauted character ü is only correctly substituted by ue - but not by a simple u.)

Did you already contact the Gauss Gesellschaft Goettingen in order to learn more details?

At the very bottom of this part of their website there's an email address / link of a lady who may be contacted

Kind regards. Vera
Good Morning Vera.
Thank you for your helpful reply. I know the name has an umlaut - I will need to find how to get it on my phone keyboard.
Regards
Gordon

In addition:
Do you already know this paper which is about Martin Bartels, the assistent of Buettner at the Katharinen Schule?

https://www.researchgate.net/public..._as_teacher_of_Carl_Friedrich_Gauss_in_German

Short description:
>>The role of the young Martin Bartels (1769 - 1836), later professor of mathematics at Kazan and Dorpat, as a teacher of C. F. Gauß is discussed on the basis of his autobiographic notes and of reminiscences by the astronomer Otto Struve, the son of Bartel's son-in-law Wilhelm Struve. - Published in: Gauß-Gesellschaft Göttingen e.V., Mitteilungen 30 (1993), pp. 59-62<<

„Bartels tells that when he began his assistant work at the school, the teacher (Buettner) was about 30 years old.“

At the very end of the paper there are various sources provided.
Vera
I know of Bartels role in the school alongside Herr Buettner but I have not read this paper - thank you for bringing it to my attention. The background to my enquiry is that, as a retired mathematics teacher, I would like to include some information about Herr Buettner in a journal article which would discuss varying interpretations of the classic "find the sum of the integers from 1 to 100" story.
I will be in Germany in June supporting Scotland in the Euros and am trying to find out whether a trip to Braunschweig would be productive.
Regards
Gordon

Gordon.
You're very welcome.
The article brought to your attention by @user722 is also an interesting read, given the background of your interest.

Well, Braunschweig is always really nice to visit, however, if you may find something productive for your article, needs to be put in question marks since right now, I don't know what kind of -if any at all- documents/records of the Katharinen Volksschule and their staff of teachers plus assistants may have survived.

That said I would really suggest to contact the Gass Society > see links above.

I'll contact some long-standing fellow researchers whose focus is Brunswick and will get back to you.

Kind regards,
Vera

Maybe you are interested in this:
That's kind of you. This article contains another variation on the famous story so that is useful. Büttner is portrayed as a classroom tyrant - many accounts paint a similar picture of the man. I will try to find a fuller view of him and his life.
Thanks for your help
Gordon

I would also suggest to contact the Stadtarchiv Braunschweig. (city archive of Brunswick)

They i.e. have in their holdings:

F III Schulen 1545 – 1918 ("school documents")
1 : 1 – 257 Katharinenschule 1545 – 1865

AND

G III Personenstandsregister
1 Kirchenbuecher ("church registers") ----> here's a pretty good chance to find Buettner's death record!
60 – 105 St. Katharinen 1589 – 1875

(derived from this PDF: https://www.braunschweig.de/kultur/bibliotheken_archive/stadtarchiv/bestaendeuebersicht.pdf )

contact data are here

If you need further help, you're welcome to send me a private message (PN) - envelope symbol near the upper right of this window

Kind regards, Vera

Zurück
Oben