Clausthal and no experience researching in Germany

I apologize if I am in the wrong place. All my known ancestors are Scandinavians, so I was surprised when a couple were listed as "German, from Clausthal" in the Norwegian church records. I have no experience in German ancestry, and obviously don't read the language. Any tips on where to start? It's a mining family that most likely emigrated in 1737. Johan Just Wigant (possibly his father was named Andreas), wife Dorothea Cathrina (her father may have been named Andreas too) Lehman and 4 children. Johan Andreas, Johan, Daniel, Johan Ernst (born about 1734) and Anne Cathrine (born about 1731/1732).

According to this, it seems like the church records will be available here in the future

Any help in how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Greetings to Norway and Welcome to the Archion Forum.

No need to apologize for anything. You are perfectly at the right place and yes, Clausthal church registers will be available here anytime here in the future.
Unfortunately "anytime".... will most likely not mean in the following months or even within the next year, but in any of the following years.

Unfortunately even FamilySearch doesn't have church registers for Clausthal for those early years which you need.

I would assume that this is your family tree, right?

That said, if you don't want to wait for the records I'd suggest to read the following thread and contact the non-profit society: Niedersächsischer Landesverein für Familienkunde in Hannover (contact data - see thread) and ask for their help.

They also have access to the microfilmed church registers pertaining to your family research and do look-ups for a small fee.

Among their members may also be people researching Wiegand/Wigand/Wigant (or any variation thereof) from Clausthal and will be able to establish a contact for you.

Best regards, Vera

Thank you so much, Vera

Yes, that’s the family, though not my personal tree. I’ll gather all the info on the kids and reach out to the Hannover society you recommended. If they can not help then I’ll just have to be patient and try and learn some basic german genealogy terms.

Sincerely, Renate

Zurück
Oben