Sugo

I do not have as much information about my 4th Great Grandfather as much as I would like to. I will give all of the information I can about his life that I was told.

My 4th Great Grandfather was named Ferdinand Frederic Sugo. I am not exactly sure where he was born, some United States censuses say he was born in Baden-Württemberg, one said Prussia, and some only say Germany. He was born around 1841, he immigrated to the United States in the late 1840s maybe early 1850s. I was told that his mother and father died when he was young and he was adopted into the Bedzinger (or Benzinger) family. He fought in the American Civil War. He had quite the interesting life. But I am stumped on who his family was and where exactly he came from. Sorry that I cannot provide much more information from what I already know. But can anyone help me with this? Is it possible to still find who his parents were and where he came from exactly?

Hallo

Census von Buffalo, Erie, State New York June 1880
In FamilySearch findet man einen Ferdinand Sugo mit Ehefrau und 7 Kinder. Auf einer anderen Seite kommt noch ein Bruder mit Ehefrau.
Ferdinand Sugo sen. 40 y
Barbara Sugo 36 y
Emma 13 y
Eduard 11 y
George 9 y
Ottilia 5 y
Jacob 4 y
Julia 2 y
Ferdinand jun. 9 m

1910 findet man Ferdinand Sugo jun. in Buffalo mit Frau und auch andere Sugo.
Der Geburtsort des Ferdinand Sugo könnte Betzingen bei Reutlingen sein. Kirchenbücher von Betzingen sind bei Archion online, aber keine Familie Sugo gefunden. Eventuell waren sie katholisch.

That is interesting that you say that, I do think they may have been Catholic. I am just not sure how I will be able to find any records about his family. Someone was telling me that Sugo does not sound like it would be a German name, so it makes me wonder if his surname was different at one point? His last name when he was adopted was Bedzinger but I guess he changed it to Sugo. I am not exactly sure how I will be able to figure this out.

Der Name Sugo hört sich tatsächlich nicht typisch deutsch an. Allerdings sind die Vornamen der Familienangehörigen deutsch.
Aus Russland gab es auch weitere Sugo Auswanderer. Auch nach deren Vornamen waren das Deutsche die zuvor nach Russland ausgewandert sind und dann vermutlich Gernerationen später aus Russland in die USA auswanderten.
Der Ursprung des Namens Sugo könnte in Italien gewesen sein, und dann ins Deutsche umgewandelt wurde.
Aber das müssen Sie selbst entscheiden, wie Sie weiterhin suchen wollen.

Zurück
Oben