Pfaffenhausen

My 2X grandfather Joh Rützel immigrated to the USA in October 1880 when he was 20 years old. His profession was listed as Schuster. The arrival document list his previous residence as Pfaffenhausen, Hessen-Nassau. I believe this location is east of Frankfurt. I also see a Phfaffenhausen west of Munich. Trying to determine the correct Phfaffenhausen.

I have very little information on his life in Germany and would like to discover more on my German ancestry. I do know that his sister Theresa and her husband Johan Adam Jeckel first appeared in Utica, Oneida, New York USA in the 1900 Census. According to that Census they came to the USA in 1882. The first record I have of their mother Juliana in the USA is living with her son in 1892. We believe her maiden name was Abersfelder.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Rob,
welcome to the Archion forum.

I think this one is your John (probably: Johannes) Ritzel:

He was born in Pfaffenhausen, Bavaria 17 Jan 1860 and died 29 October 1951 Utica, Oneida, NY, and I suppose he was baptized catholic.
Due to this, you will find no church records relating to this family on Archion, since this collection of church books contains mainly protestant records.

Kind regards,
Michael

Hi Rob,
welcome to the archion forum.

I think this one is your John (probably: Johannes) Ritzel:

He was born in Pfaffenhausen, Bavaria 17 Jan 1860 and died 29 October 1951 Utica, Oneida, NY, and I suppose he was baptized catholic.
Due to this, you will find no church records relating to this family on archion, since this collection of church books contains mainly protestant records.

Kind regards,
Michael
Yes, this would be my 2x great grandfather. Any thoughts on which Pfaffenhausen location would be the most likely?

Yes, this would be my 2x great grandfather. Any thoughts on which Pfaffenhausen location would be the most likely?

Roman Catholic church registers for Pfaffenhausen, Swabia / Bavaria, about 30 kilometers north-east of Memmingen

...are online available here

So either you find his birth/baptism record there or not - if not, you can at least rule that Bavarian place, Pfaffenhausen, out.

Zurück
Oben