Nachgelaßen/ Nachgelassen Tochter/ Sohn, etc.

Ich weiß, dass "nachgelaßen" wörtlich "Überlebender" bedeutet. Wenn ich also den Begriff "nachgelaßen Tochter" (etc.) sehe, verstehe ich das wörtliche Wort. Aber ich verstehe die Bedeutung nicht.

Wenn ich diesen Begriff in einer Heiratsurkunde sehe, gehe ich davon aus, dass der Autor bedeutet, dass die Tochter von Joe SMITH lebt und heiratet (natürlich!), Aber dass Joe SMITH, ihr Vater, zum Zeitpunkt ihrer Heirat verstorben ist. (Ich hoffe, dass diese Vermutung richtig ist.)

Wenn ich es in einem Taufprotokoll sehe ... Sagt es, dass die Tochter, die hier aufgezeichnet wird, ihre Mutter überlebt hat? Mit anderen Worten, die Mutter starb in oder kurz nach der Geburt, aber das Baby überlebte, um getauft zu werden? Oder bezieht sich das immer noch auf den Vater? Oder tut nachgelaßen tochter/sohn/etc. etwas ganz anderes bedeuten?

——————

I know that "nachgelaßen" means, literally, "surviving" [the survivor of someone else]. So when I see the term "nachgelaßen Tochter" (etc.), I understand the literal words. "Surviving daughter." But I don't understand the meaning.

If I see this term in a marriage record I assume the writer means that the daughter of Joe SMITH is alive and getting married (of course!), but that Joe SMITH, her father, is deceased at the time of her marriage. (I hope that guess is correct.)

If I see it in a baptismal record... Is it saying that the daughter being recorded here survived her mother? In other words, the mother died in or shortly after childbirth, but the baby survived to be baptised? Or is this still referring to the father? Or does nachgelaßen tochter/sohn/etc. mean something else entirely?

If I see this term in a marriage record I assume the writer means that the daughter of Joe SMITH is alive and getting married (of course!), but that Joe SMITH, her father, is deceased at the time of her marriage. (I hope that guess is correct.)

Yes, exactly. "Nachgelassen" is similar to left-behind. He/she is still on earth, while dad/mom are in heaven (hopefully) ...

If I see it in a baptismal record... Is it saying that the daughter being recorded here survived her mother? In other words, the mother died in or shortly after childbirth, but the baby survived to be baptised? Or is this still referring to the father? Or does nachgelaßen tochter/sohn/etc. mean something else entirely?

You'll find that rarely in a baptism. In this case there is sometimes a note, that the baptism was "posthum" or "posthumus", meaning that the father had died before the birth/baptism of his child.

If the mother died during birth there will be either a note stating that, or you'll find a record in the burial register shortly after the birth date.

"nachgelassen" will always appear in combination with a name: Joe Smith's nachgelassene Tochter, which means Joe Smith was dead when the burial/marriage/baptism of his daughter happened.

By the way: selig/seelig/sel./seel. after a name has the same meaning. The person mentioned before is already dead. Sometimes it's abbreviated with an acuate s or a capital S.

And then there is weyland/weiland/weyl./weil.:

John, weyl. Joe Smith's Sohn.

Which also means that Joe Smith is dead at the time this is written.

Yes, exactly. "Nachgelassen" is similar to left-behind. He/she is still on earth, while dad/mom are in heaven (hopefully) ...

You'll find that rarely in a baptism. In this case there is sometimes a note, that the baptism was "posthum" or "posthumus", meaning that the father had died before the birth/baptism of his child.

If the mother died during birth there will be either a note stating that, or you'll find a record in the burial register shortly after the birth date.

"nachgelassen" will always appear in combination with a name: Joe Smith's nachgelassene Tochter, which means Joe Smith was dead when the burial/marriage/baptism of his daughter happened.

True, most that I have found have been in marriages, but the first one I ever came across was in fact in a baptism, which is what confused me so much—who is deceased, the baby's father or the mother? (I have not yet located further information about them so I do not know... but with patience, I will.) :)

http://www.archion.de/p/c966b3aca6/ (Eva Elisabetha GUTHBERLET)

One of the rare cases :)

Yes, the father had died before the daughter was born/baptized ...

http://www.archion.de/p/0989efdcdf/

Father died July,21 1739 and daughter was born February,1 1740.

Oh, vielen Dank dafür! Ich hätte es rechtzeitig gefunden, aber ohne Ihre Neugier hätte ich es nicht in so kurzer Zeit gefunden! :)

————

Oh, thank you very much for that! I would have found it in time, but I would not have found it in so little time without your curiosity! :)

Zurück
Oben