How can I find a specific church record?

I always search for my ancestors but it always takes a while. So, I was wondering if there was a way for finding specific records with only a name.

I'd appreciate if you could help me.

Hi Bruce

At Archion itself, there are NO indexes fo searches for names AT ALL.
Archion provides only access to scanned images of church records.

First, you need to know the name of the town where the person you are looking for was born, baptized, married or buried. If you find this town (or the parish to which your town belonged to!) you have to browse the church records (if available on archion). In case you didn't notice:: Archion has a large number of church books, but not all church registers have been digitized by their owners and not all digitized pages are yet published by Archion. Work is still in progress. And please notice: archion holds church records mainly for protestant churches.

If the town (and church/ parish) you were searching for is availabke at archion, you will have to look for the correct book or folder according to the timeframe you are looking for.
Then: If you have found a church register, you have to browse it image by image and search the name. If you are lucky enough, there might be an index (handwritten) within this specific church book.
But again: there is no name search at Archion.

Kind regards
Michael

P.S. Did you see that I had to use at least four times the word "if"? It always takes luck AND efforts AND time to be succesful in genealogical researches

Hi Bruce,
Why did you post almost the same question in Forum "Allgemeines" AFTER I had already provided you my answer HERE in this Forum " Hessen"????
Double postings create double work for helpers!!!

Sorry, Bruce, I have to correct myself:
You posted your request in Forum "Allgemeines "some minutes BEFORE I sent my answer here.
At didn't calculate correctly.
Nevertheless, and again:
Please do not post requests twice. In the past that had lead several times to double processing of answering!!!

Zurück
Oben