Gleissenberg uber Bomberg

Hallo,
Ich bin neu in dieser Website. Ich versuche, die Aufzeichnungen für mein Urgroßvater der Familie zu finden. Er wurde in Gleißenberg uber Bomberg in 1866. geboren Ich kann nicht scheinen zu finden, welche Dekanat diese Aufzeichnungen haben würde. Vielen Dank für jede Hilfe, die Sie anbieten können.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Suzanne Rose

Hello Suzanne,

where does this information come from?

There is no German place name: Bomberg, sorry.

Could it be Bamberg instead?

If so, there is a place Gleißenberg, today part of Burghaslach, about 50 kilometers south-west of Bamberg.

Bayern > Dekanat Markt Einersheim > Burghaslach

Good luck, Vera

Thank-you so much for the information. The information was a translation made by my aunt and uncle who visited Germany in the 1960's and copied down information about the family. I am finding many errors in the information, as they did not speak German and did not know the old German script. I am sure it should be Bamberg. I sincerely appreciate the help!
I am researching the Berwind and Huber families in Gleissenberg and the Schulein family in Neustadt a.d. Aisch. Thanks so much!
Suzanne

Hi again,

I checked all those records and there are is not one Berwind in the whole bunch. The only Berwind families I can find seem to be in Ingolstadt, and I have recorded all those records, but they do not include my family. Oh well! Thanks for helping! I am going to move on to the next family and see if I can do better with them. Thanks again!
Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,

regarding the family name

Bärwind (not Berwind - please note the second character, an "umlauted" a, correctly substituted as ae leading to Baerwind)

give these records a try

Dekanat Kitzingen > Repperndorf

Repperndorf is near Kitzingen which is only 50 kilometers south-west of Gleissenberg/Burghaslach

There should be a Lutheran family "Bärwind" up to the 1860s.

And as an aside, if your ancestors weren't of Evangelical/Lutheran religious belief, you'll not be able to find them at all here, because the Archion portal provides Lutheran church records only.

Please keep me updated. Thanks.

Vera

Hi Vera,

I am beginning to think perhaps my Berwind/Baerwind family may have been Catholic. My great-grandfather, Johann Christoph Berwind was born in 1866 in Gleissenberg. He was the oldest son of Georg Leonard Berwind and Margarethe Huber (or Hubert). I know nothing about his parents other than their names and the names and birthdates of all their children. Johann Christoph Berwind followed typical German naming patterns with his children. If Georg Leonard Berwind also followed the traditional naming patterns, his father could be named Johann Christoph and his mother may be named Barbara Katharine or some combination of those names. I know that the patterns were not followed all the time, but right now it is the only clue I have.

Johann Christoph Berwind's youngest brother, Johann Paul Berwind b. 1883, listed his birthplace as "Gleissenberg, Unterfranken." I have found that Unterfranken was predominantly Catholic, so perhaps that is why I am not finding them in the records.

Johann Christoph Berwind married Wilhelmina Margarethe Schuelein in New York in 1897. I have the Schuelein family fairly well documented, thanks to the images on this website. They lived in Neustadt a.d. Aisch and were Lutheran, so documenting the information my uncle brought back from Germany for the Schuelein family has been relatively easy, although I did find some spelling errors in the information he copied. My goal has been to try to document the information he brought back from Germany by finding original records.

I assumed the Berwind family must also be Lutheran, since my great-grandparents went to the Lutheran church after their marriage and all the children were baptized Lutheran in NY. I have never seen the name Berwind spelled Baerwind or with the umlaut--that's interesting. Schuelein has always been spelled with the umlaut in all the records I have, but Berwind was not. I always check alternate spellings, but it's very interesting to know that you think that may be the correct spelling.

As I said previously, I have found Berwind listings in Ingolstadt, but that has been it. The information I have about my family does not match up with that family at all, but it is such a rare name that it is likely they are relatives of some sort.

I have done a lot of genealogy research in the U.S. but I am just learning about the records in Germany. The biggest stumbling block has been trying to understand the geography and organization system for the records. I did take German in school, so I can roughly translate and read most of the records, which helps.

Thanks again for all your help. I am always open to suggestions and will probably have to hire a researcher in Germany to look into the Catholic records for me.

Thanks so much!

Suzanne

I am always open to suggestions and will probably have to hire a researcher in Germany to look into the Catholic records for me.

Hi Suzanne,

no, don't do that.

As I just found Gleissenberg had an own church and own/independent church books.

Check the pdf-file you downloaded from the Nuremberg archive - on page #6 it lists Gleißenberg and additionally tells (on red background) that analysis/documentation/digitization of these church registers hasn't been finished as of yet. Therefore these church registers aren't open to users so far.

That said, either you'll check back later or you try to contact the parish directly.

see i.e. here:
http://wiki-de.genealogy.net/Gleißenberg_(Burghaslach)

or here:
http://www.gleissenberg.com/KG/

Then click on "Ansprechpartner" / Contact and you'll even find an email address.

May be they would be willing to help. I for one wouldn't ask to many questions at once (resources are limited in parishes as well, right) - may be just enough to make sure that this is indeed your ancestors correct place of origin.

Vera

Zurück
Oben