Scheuermann (Shireman in US)

I am trying to find about my fathers family. The first one to come to America was (Johann) Daniel Shireman. I have found his surname Scheuermann on baptism entries for his daughters, Catherine and Susannah, in both Germany and Pennsylvania US. I know Daniel came to America by 1775, he bought an iron forge in Pennsylvania at that time.

Here is his information:

Daniel Shireman Wife: Dorthea Creutzer

1727-1797
BIRTH 4 JUNE 1727 • Sindlingen, Boblingen, Baden Wurttemberg, Germany
DEATH 6 AUGUST 1797 • Shiremanstown, Cumberland, Pennsylvania, USA

Johann Adam Scheuermann Wife: Anna Katharina Megtzer​

1697-1748
BIRTH 22 JUNE 1697 • Sindlingen, Baden-Württemberg, Germany
DEATH 20 JANUARY 1748 • Sindlingen, Jettingen, Boeblingen, Baden Wurttemberg, Germany

Does anyone have any helpful information to help me on that side? I will appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you,
Karen

You are probably looking in the wrong Sindlingen. There is Singlingen (Jettingen) in Baden-Württemberg, and Sindlingen (Frankfurt) in Hesse.

According to this web site, Adam Scheuermann was born in Sindlingen (Frankfurt):

His son born on June 4, 1727, had the name Johann, not Johann Daniel, at least at his baptism.

Sindlingen in Hesse was always a catholic parish belonging to the diocese of Limburg. That diocese has also started to publish its parish registers on Matricula, however, Sindlingen is not yet online.

In the Diözesanarchiv Limburg it's also possible to view digitized versions of the parish registers, but only on site. For Sindlingen they are available starting with the year 1624.

Thank you for the information! All the dates match what I have. However, the children of Johann (Daniel 1727) were baptized in the Reform church in Pennsylvania. I thought those were mostly Lutheran who wanted to change the religion. Could they be Catholics too? I don't know if the older children were born in Germany or America. Maybe they were joining their mother's church, I cannot find anything at all for Dorthea Creutzer, daughter of Stephan.

Also, do you have any suggestions to find out what the family business was? I am completely new at searching German records.

Again, thank you for your help.
Karen

You could ask the author of that GEDBAS pedigree, where he has found those records and if he has any copies or photographs. His email address is mentioned.

I assume you'll find additional information (like the profession) in the original parish register. If the Scheuermanns were catholic, the records might be in Latin, however.

Zurück
Oben