Need Help

I'm from the UK and just started researching my maternal German ancestors. My Grandmother & sister both died in 1950 before I was born. I've hit a brick wall and cannot find their burial. They both lived in Itzehoe. I have looked on here under the Itzehoe archives but cant find anything. could anybody please advise if there is anywhere else on Archion I should look. I have attached their death certificates. I have posted before but didn't have their death certificates Thank you xx

Sisters Death certificate
Grandmothers Death Certificate

Hello Heidiknapp!

The death certificate for your sister was issued in Herzhorn. You may want to write to them to see if they have a note about her burial?
standesamt@amt-horst-herzhorn.de
Your grandmothers certificate says she died in Kremperheide. You could try Standesamt Krempermarsch at info@amt-krempermarsch.landsh.de

I wonder though why look for burial information? Do you have the information you need to take your family tree further back, or are you hoping to see/visit their last resting place??

In any case, good luck!

Thank you. I will try these places. I have discovered where my mother lived and would eventually like to visit. It would also be amazing if I knew where my grandmother and sister were buried, as I would like to visit their resting place and pay my respect. Thanks again for your help

It would also be amazing if I knew where my grandmother and sister were buried, as I would like to visit their resting place and pay my respect.

Good morning.

The cemetery where your relatives where buried in 1950 will most likely still exist.
However, you will hardly be able to still find their individual burial sides, since it is most unlikely that these still exist.

In Germany the vast majority of individual gravesides do not exist longer than 30 years after the death of the deceased.

(That's a general rule. In some communities it's even 20 years for adults, 15 years for children ..... // The so-called "Ruhezeit" is determined by the individual Friedhofsordnung / cemetery rules of a community.
see i.e. here: https://www.bestattungen.de/ratgeber/friedhof/ruhezeiten.html#definition )

That period may eventually be extended if the family of the deceased still wants to pay the rent for the graveside for a certain number of years. If the family decides not to do so, then the ground is cleared (and so prepared for the burial of any other person.)

(Historical gravesides of notable people or the like may exist on German cemeteries for an unrestricted period of time.)

Regards, Vera

Thank you so much for the information. I think this is what has happened but I was hoping that even if I couldn’t find the exact plot of their resting place. There might be a record of which graveyard they was in. I have emailed many places but sadly cannot find the information. They both lived in Itzehoe and still had family there when they died, so I was hoping it might be a graveyard within that area xx

Where do you live? I am hoping to be in Germany soon, not too far from Itzehoe... if I have the opportunity, could take a look and a picture for you.

Hi I live in the uk. Thats really kind of you. but I have no idea where they could be, and don't want to send you on a wild goose chase. its more then likely that there's no gravestone anymore. I've contacted everywhere but no luck and was hoping there would at least be a record of where they were laid to rest.:cry: if you are passing through Itezoe, would you mind asking at a local church, where the records might be kept. Thank you xx

I can do that - can ask if they have a listing for when/where buried. Also thought I could check the address where they lived... take a picture.
No promises but I think is doable.
I am hoping to go in October.
my gmail is bconline2012@gmail.com - if I do find anything, where can I reach you (cannot upload here)?
Bridget

Zurück
Oben