General Question

Hi! I can find an entry stating that my grandmother was baptized but I cannot find her actual baptismal record. Where
would I find that record?

Hallo,

WO wurde ihre Großmutter getauft?
WANN wurde ihre Großmutter getauft?

Ist das entsprechende Kirchenbuch hier vorhanden?
Es gibt auch bei Kirchenbüchern eine Art "Datenschutz" und es sind nicht alle Kirchenbücher die es in Deutschland gibt hier bei Archion einsehbar.
Es gibt hier keine Suchmaske/Index. Sie müssen jedes Buch alleine von Hand ansehen.

Hi! I can find an entry stating that my grandmother was baptized ......

Good morning.

In order to help: To which record do you refer here?
Please provide a Permalink to it.

How to do so, is i.e. described here

Thanks.

Good morning. In order to help: To which record do you refer here? Please provide a Permalink to it. How to do so, is i.e. described here Thanks.
Good morning. In order to help: To which record do you refer here? Please provide a Permalink to it. How to do so, is i.e. described here Thanks.
Hello, WHERE was your grandmother baptized? WHEN was her grandmother baptized? Is the corresponding church register available here? There is also a kind of "data protection" for church books and not all church records that exist in Germany can be viewed here at Archion. There is no search mask/index here. You'll have to look at each book by hand on your own.

My grandmother's name was Elise Schafer. She was born on July 17th, 1887 in Bochum. She was baptized on August 7th, 1887. I can't tell if the church record is on Archion or not.

Ich verstehe die Frage nicht. Der Link zum Taufbuch ist doch vorhanden.
Einen "Taufschein" gibt es nicht, den bekommt man direkt bei der Kirche, der wird heute vom Kirchbüro aus den Unterlagen, dem Taufbuch, extra ausgestellt. Er ist wohl im Laufe der langen Zeit in der Familie verloren gegangen. Der Nachweis der Taufe ist der Eintrag im Kirchenbuch.

The link you provided points directly to the page with your grandmother's baptismal record. So, yes, it is on Archion - you've found it yourself!

The columns in the church book and their entries from left to right translate to:

No.: 430
Parents' place of residence respectively children's birth place: Bochum
Children's name, family name: Schäfer
Children's name, given name: Martha Elise
Name and profession of parents: miner ("Bergmann") Wilhelm Schäfer and Anna Martha Brill
Day of birth: July 17th
Day of baptism and pastor who baptized: August 7th Kleppel (I think the pastor's name reads Kleppel)
Name of godfather respectively "baptism witness" (there seems to be a difference between godfather and witness): Marie Heßler Heinrich Brill
Subsequent remarks, regarding the new born: left blank

German umlaut ä as in Schäfer can be converted to ae ("Schaefer") on a non-German keyboard, and ß as in Heßler to ss ("Hessler").

I'm sorry, after comparing the handwriting in preceding and subsequent entries, the godfather's name very probably reads Marie Keßler ("Kessler") and not Heßler ("Hessler").

The link you provided points directly to the page with your grandmother's baptismal record. So, yes, it is on Archion - you've found it yourself!

Es tut mir sehr, sehr leid, aber dies ist nicht korrekt.

Wie @baukuthi bereits geschrieben hat, zeigt der Link direkt auf den originalen Taufeintrag (original baptism record / entry = kirchenrechtliche Dokumentation einer durchgeführten Taufe) im Kirchenbuch.

Ein Taufschein (baptismal record = zeitlich nachgelagerte Bestätigung einer erfolgten Taufe) wird regelmäßig nur auf Anforderung einer dazu berechtigten Person oder Institution separat ausgestellt. Die Angaben in dem Taufschein (baptismal record) basieren auf dem Taufeintrag (baptism record).

Kopien ausgestellter Taufscheine werden in aller Regel nicht aufbewahrt, sofern solche überhaupt erstellt werden. In manchen Taufbüchern / Taufregistern finden sich "von späterer Hand" ergänzte Randnotizen über ausgestellte Taufscheine.

Ein Taufeintrag existiert in aller Regel nur ein einziges Mal.
Taufscheine (Bestätigungen über die erfolgte Taufe) können mehrfach erstellt werden.

@Zankner333 What you've found is the "one and only" original baptism record / entry within this Bochum church register for your grandmother.
So to say: it's the number one source documenting her baptism.

In case you're looking for additional "proof" that you're really looking at baptism records / entries, you may find it useful to have a look at the title page of this Bochum church register

Es tut mir sehr, sehr leid, aber dies ist nicht korrekt.

Wie @baukuthi bereits geschrieben hat, zeigt der Link direkt auf den originalen Taufeintrag (original baptism record / entry = kirchenrechtliche Dokumentation einer durchgeführten Taufe) im Kirchenbuch.

Ein Taufschein (baptismal record = zeitlich nachgelagerte Bestätigung einer erfolgten Taufe) wird regelmäßig nur auf Anforderung einer dazu berechtigten Person oder Institution separat ausgestellt. Die Angaben in dem Taufschein (baptismal record) basieren auf dem Taufeintrag (baptism record).

Kopien ausgestellter Taufscheine werden in aller Regel nicht aufbewahrt, sofern solche überhaupt erstellt werden. In manchen Taufbüchern / Taufregistern finden sich "von späterer Hand" ergänzte Randnotizen über ausgestellte Taufscheine.

Ein Taufeintrag existiert in aller Regel nur ein einziges Mal.
Taufscheine (Bestätigungen über die erfolgte Taufe) können mehrfach erstellt werden.

@Zankner333 What you've found is the "one and only" original baptism record / entry within this Bochum church register for your grandmother.
So to say: it's the number one source documenting her baptism.

In case you're looking for additional "proof" that you're really looking at baptism records / entries, you may find it useful to have a look at the title page of this Bochum church register

Danke!

Zurück
Oben