Englishman working in Hannover 1750's/Engländer, der in Hannover arbeitet, 1750er Jahre

Ich versuche, Informationen über meine unmittelbare Familie namens Pyterman (oder die folgenden Varianten) zu finden: Putnam, Paterman, Paytrement, Petreman, Peterman, Piterman, etc.) zu finden, die englische Staatsbürger waren und um 1750-1763 in Hannover lebten, als König Georg zum König über England ernannt wurde. Einem Londoner Lehrlingsverzeichnis zufolge besaß John Stephen Pyterman (geb. ~1706) zwischen 1743 und 1748 eine Taverne oder ein Restaurant namens Ship Eatery in London. Im Jahr 1749 beschloss John Pyterman jedoch, mit seiner schwangeren Frau Dorothy Burin und seiner Tochter Ann nach Hannover, Deutschland, auszuwandern. Einen Monat nach ihrer Ankunft in Hannover wurde ihr Sohn Jan Pyterman geboren (1749). Die Familie blieb 14 Jahre lang in Hannover (~1749-1763) und zog dann zurück nach London. Jan, sein Sohn, wurde Perückenmacher in London. Ich bin neu auf dieser Website und weiß nicht, wo sich englische Familien in dieser Zeit in Hannover niederließen. Hat jemand einen Vorschlag, wo ich mit der Suche beginnen sollte?

Jared from Utah, USA

I am trying to find information on my immediate family named Pyterman (or the following variants: Putnam, Paterman, Paytrement, Petreman, Peterman, Piterman, etc.) who were English citizens living in Hanover circa 1750-1763 when King George was appointed King over England. According to a London apprentice directory, John Stephen Pyterman (b. ~1706) owned a tavern or restaurant called the Ship Eatery in London between 1743 and 1748. However, in 1749, John Pyterman decided to emigrate to Hanover, Germany with his pregnant wife Dorothy Burin and daughter Ann. A month after their arrival in Hanover, their son Jan Pyterman was born (1749). The family remained in Hanover for 14 years (~1749-1763) and then moved back to London. Jan, his son, became a wigmaker in London.

I am new to this site and do not know where English families settled in Hanover during this period. Does anyone have a suggestion where I should start looking?

Thank you!

A month after their arrival in Hanover, their son Jan Pyterman was born (1749). The family remained in Hanover for 14 years (~1749-1763)

Hello and welcome to Archion's forum.

Please provide additional information regarding the quoted text - say:

a) where and when / in which church register did you localize the quoted birth
b) where and when did you find evidence for this family residing in Hannover

c) Do you refer to the Kingdom of Hannover, or to the city of Hannover?

Thanks and regards, Vera

All of the dates and information were extracted from a petition that Jan's father John Pyterman submitted to the Wigmakers Guild of London. His son Jan Pyterman wanted to be apprenticed to become a wig after returning to London but they only accepted Englishman. The father explained to the guild board that his family was English, but his son was born only a month after they arrived in Hannover.

I'm not sure if Jan was born in the city or electorate of Hannover (Brunswick-Lüneburg) where King George (Georg Ludwig) was presiding in addition to England. I would assume the city. The father said that his family lived there for 14 years.

Thanks.

Which (publicly available) sources / databases did you already check in detail in order to find this family in "Hannover"?
(FamilySearch, Ancestry, MyHeritage...???)

Did you i.e. search these databases as well?

--------------------------------------------

One little example for the family name PEITMANN from the first one

...or another one for the family name PETERMANN

Zurück
Oben