Culture and marriage?

Broadly speaking, is it common for a Lutheran couple to not get married in the church after having a child together in Hesse in the 1830's? Did having a child out of wedlock get them in some sort of trouble so that they couldn't marry? I'm just wondering because my (great) grandfather's baptism record, which someone so kindly helped me with, states he was born to his mother, a single woman, and that the father "voluntarily" admitted to being the father. That was in September of 1833 and they emigrated to America in August 1834. No other children were born in Germany and only one was born in America. I can find no marriage record anywhere nearby between those dates, near where the baby was baptized. So I just wondered if I should keep looking, or was it common to not have an official marriage? They founded a church here in America with other families, so I know they were religious. I'm just curious as to why they wouldn't (or couldn't) get married during her pregnancy or afterwards. If anyone has any insight, I'd appreciate it, even though I know we are all probably just speculating. (I'm posting the link to the baptism record again just in case it's needed.)

Das ist der zugehörige Thread

Well, that happened. It always depends on the circumstances. One of my ancestors was a police officer. He certainly was very poor and he had to move from town to town for quite some time. His first daughter with his later wife was born in 1827. Afterwards they had four more children without being married. And when the marriage finally took place in 1844, his eldest daughter was almost 17 years old.

So yes, when you look at the morals at that time, it wasn't accepted. But nevertheless there were always cases like that.

Don't stop searching. It really could be, that they married many years after their kids were born.

As an aside:

I trust you also already learned from Wilhelm Bramm's baptism record that he wasn't the
first illegitimate child of Katharina Pfannmüller.

Instead he was her second child born out of wedlock and second little boy, while the first born was already deceased.

-------------------------

People (especially women) giving birth to illegitimate children were of course "in trouble" -as you put it-, but there was no law, regulation or whatsoever which legally hindered them to get married.

However, some priests simply refused to marry such "immoral" people.
So when you can't find a marriage in the parish where the baptism took place, search all parishes in the surroundings (perimeter even up to 50 Kilometers).

eggi thank you so much for the information, I love the stories of ancestors!

vnagel2004, no actually, I missed the part about a second baby. I will look for a record for him today.

Wow, up to 50 km! I will keep searching!

Thank you both so much for the insight. I just wanted to make sure there were no restrictions through the church and it sounds like there wasn't.

Zurück
Oben