Schmeltzer/Schmelzer in Korbach

I recently discovered from the marriage record of my 4th great-grandfather, Christian Jacobus Schmeltzer (b. around 1728) that he was from Korbach, based on his marriage record. He married Caecilia Esser in Efferen, Cologne, Rheinprovinz, Prussia, Germany on 21 Apr 1765 (Catholic) and they raised a large family in Hürth, Erftkreis, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany with many descendants that stayed in that area. His death certificate doesn't name his parents or place of birth. I'm struggling with how to research records in Korbach for him. It appears that the area was predominantly Protestant and wondering why he would have moved 150 miles away to Hürth. I don't know what year he made the move but am aware that there was a battle that took place in Korbach in 1860 as part of the 7-year war. I'd love input on how to search this, as well as theories on why he might have made the move. Could it have been based on his religion (could he have been protestant and changed religion with his marriage?), or on the war that was taking place in Korbach? I guess I'm just looking for better-educated guesses as I don't know much about the history of the area. thanks

Aus der Heiratsurkunde meines 4. Urgroßvaters, Christian Jacobus Schmeltzer (geb. um 1728), habe ich kürzlich aufgrund seiner Heiratsurkunde erfahren, dass er aus Korbach stammte. Er heiratete Caecilia Esser in Efferen, Köln, Rheinprovinz, Preußen, Deutschland am 21. April 1765 (katholisch) und sie gründeten eine große Familie in Hürth, Erftkreis, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Deutschland mit vielen Nachkommen, die in dieser Gegend blieben. In seiner Sterbeurkunde werden weder seine Eltern noch sein Geburtsort genannt. Ich habe Mühe, für ihn Aufzeichnungen in Korbach zu recherchieren. Es scheint, dass die Gegend überwiegend protestantisch war und fragte sich, warum er 150 Meilen entfernt nach Hürth gezogen war. Ich weiß nicht, in welchem Jahr er den Umzug machte, aber ich weiß, dass es 1860 im Rahmen des 7-jährigen Krieges eine Schlacht in Korbach gab. Ich würde mich über Input freuen, wie man das sucht, sowie Theorien darüber, warum er den Schritt gemacht haben könnte. Könnte es an seiner Religion gelegen haben (könnte er protestantisch gewesen sein und mit seiner Heirat die Religion gewechselt haben?) oder auf dem Krieg, der in Korbach stattfand? Ich denke, ich suche nur nach besser ausgebildeten Vermutungen, da ich nicht viel über die Geschichte der Gegend weiß. Danke

It would help if you would publish the marriage certificate or you send me this certificate by eMail. Give me a personal message (PN).
Maybe the names of the parents are mentioned there?
It could be that the names changed between Schmeltzer, Schmelz(er) and Schmalz over the time.
Behind the link you see a marriage from 1708, name Schmalz.
Kind regards, Oliver

I just recently joined Archion so am fumbling a bit with the logistics. I don't see how to change the language to English for example. I did find Johann Peter Schmelzer/Schmalz (#2) listed here https://www.seite119.de/Dalwigker_Strasse_8_Korbach.html so you may be correct in that the name started as Schmalz for this family. I don't know how to add the photo but the marriage records do not include his parents' names. It was a church record in Efferen (St. Mary's catholic) and if this link works for you it is on p. 51: Efferen marriage. His death record lists parents as unknown. I have tried to look at the old records in Korbach, but I found I could not read them, so stopped. Since he married a Catholic and there were no Catholic churches in Korbuch I also looked at Catholic church records for nearby Eppe, but had no success. I know it is unlikely, but haven't ruled out that he could have converted to the Catholic religion when he married, but I also found another 'maiden'Anna Maria Schmelzer from Korbach in St. Katherine's (Hürth, Erftkreis) who died on 12 Oct 1769. Again, no parents are listed, but I imagine this might be a sister. Would they both have converted? All future descendants were raised Catholic and names were listed as Schmeltzer or Schmelzer.

Buch Seite 40, Film Nr.[51] (oben)

im dritten Eintrag von oben:

1765 21mâ Aprilis Copulati Sunt
Christianus Schlmelzer ex Corbach,
et Caec⟨i⟩lia EsSers ex Etteren.

Zurück
Oben