Grannon Kreis, Arnswalde, Germany (now Poland?)

One of my ancestors, William (Wilhelm) Riske moved to America from Germany, and I just found an obituary for his son, William (Wilhelm) Frederick Riske. The obituary says that he was "born January 12, 1864 at Grannon Kries, Arnswalde, Germany." (He had a twin also, whose name was August Friedrich).

Doing a Google search, it looks like Arnswalde was the German name for Choszczno in modern day Poland. Is that right?

I'm wondering if there is a church book that would list the birth of these twins, and perhaps more information about the parents, Wilhelm Riske and Wilhelmina (Keuchler) Riske? Or some other resource that might have information about them?

Here is the family tree I've constructed so far:

To search the names of German places that are now in Poland (effectively), try Kartenmeister - www.kartenmeister.com/preview/databaseUwe.asp
Searching Granow as suggested above (btw Grannon resulted 0 hits), Granow, Arnswalde, was in the German Province of Brandenburg. You could try searching the Berlin/Brandenburg records or Ost Gebiete....
Using Kartenmeister, Granow is now Granowo, Wielkopolskie, Poland (A catholic parish), and those records may very well be in Polish archives. You can try BASIA (an online index of places in Poland - lots of links to church books and other records www.basia.famula.pl/en/skany.

Zurück
Oben